With a minimum light intensity of 3 candelas throughout its entire operating life, this high intensity LED strobe marks a crew-overboard site with each brilliant flash. It automatically rights itself and activates when in the water, ensuring that activation is never an issue that a crew member in distress needs to worry about. At least 40 hours continuous operating life at 30oC (86oF) or over 24 hours at -1oC (30oF).
The SM-3 operates on 2 AA Lithium batteries, and the batteries are user-replaceable, allowing the potential for a longer product life than the many disposable lifebuoy lights on the market. The supplied mounting bracket holds the SM-3 secure in the roughest conditions, but it is still readily accessible when needed in an emergency. Additionally, while the SM-3 and its bracket are significantly smaller than its predecessor model SM2, the SM-3 bracket conveniently maintains the same mounting hole pattern as the SM-2, allowing for easy retrofit with no additional adapter plate required.
The SM-3 is USCG/MED/SOLAS approved for use worldwide. Therefore, this durable LED marker light provides an excellent option for vessels needing to meet USCG and SOLAS carriage requirements for lifebuoy self-igniting lights. As per USCG and SOLAS requirements for passenger and cargo vessels, at least one-half of the total number of lifebuoys on board the ship must be fitted with a self-igniting light. Minimum carriage requirements are based on the vessel’s length and can range from a minimum of four to a minimum of fifteen lifebuoys with self-igniting lights per vessel.
Rugged design leads to greater flexibility of use. While the SOLAS standard only calls for a 30-meter drop test, the SM-3 has been drop tested to 76 meters. This makes the SM-3 a versatile option for use on various platforms or vessels of different sizes.
With its easily replaceable Lithium AA batteries, the SM-3 will give years of service and be ready when called upon.
- Ideal for commercial maritime applications, including petro-marine, workboats, cruise liners, tugs and workboats, supply vessels, cargo vessels, passenger vessels, fishing charters, etc.
- Length 9.9 inches (253 mm), diameter 2.2” (56 mm). Weights: Light only 0.66 lbs (300 g), light with batteries 0.71 lbs (330 g), light with batteries & bracket 0.90 lbs (406 g)
- Batteries: 2 AA Lithium Batteries (L91) / User Replaceable (Not Included)
- Material: UV Resistant Polycarbonate
- Colour: International Safety Orange
- Activation: Automatic gravity switch
- Operation throw SM-3 overboard or turn upright, and the strobe light will automatically begin to flash
- Light intensity minimum of 3 candelas per flash in all directions of the upper hemisphere
- Flash rate 50–70 times per minute
- Drop tested to 76 meters (USCG/SOLAS/MED only call for 30 meters)
- Warranty 1 year
- Approvals USCG / MED / SOLAS
- Mounting bracket UV resistant polycarbonate bracket included